Thursday, June 23, 2016

Art as Therapy

Art is both expressive and projective. It enables us to convey echoes of our inner selves, with potentially enlightening results. For three decades, I have used drawings with clients of all ages. An example is a sketch of a house, a tree and a person made by the individual and then interpreted by a clinician. My brother Mike, a school psychologist, aided me in honing the use of this diagnostic tool. Art can also be transformative. About twenty years ago, my friend and colleague Laura showed me how to use oven-baked clay to make sculptures with therapy groups. Self-portraits are hand built by the members as a process of  healing and empowerment. I will post the sculpture I made of myself during one of the sessions we conducted with teens.


Stef



No comments:

Post a Comment